Saturday 7 October 2017

Globecooking recipe : Watermelon & Cucumber Salad (Cyprus)


As I've recently started taking a packed lunch into work, I'm trying to stave off the boredom by making different salads, rather than getting into a rut with the same old ham and cheese sandwiches. This recipe in my Cyprus-themed Kitchen Trotter box sounded perfect, although I was slightly concerned about how the ingredients would work together !


It used two ingredients from the box - a bottle of basil and garlic red wine vinegar and some black Cyprus salt.



This is very strange stuff. My first thought was that it looked like coal and, well, it is really ! It is a mixture of sea salt and activated charcoal that naturally forms in large, pyramid-shaped crystals. I know activated charcoal is used in various medicines for settling stomachs so who knows? Maybe sprinkling some on my salad would make it extra healthy. Luckily it tastes of salt, not charcoal, which is a good thing !

Watermelon & Cucumber Salad

ingredients :

1/2 a small watermelon
1/2 a cucumber
1 tomato (or I used a handful of cherry tomatoes)
fresh mint (or I used fresh basil)
a sprinkle of black Cyprus salt
a glug of red wine vinegar


This is a really simple salad to make. Dice all the fruit and veggies and put in a bowl.


Finely chop the mint or basil leaves.


Add the herbs, salt and vinegar to the bowl and toss.

It's not bad and it's super healthy and low calorie but it was a little bland. The watermelon, cucumbers and tomatoes all taste very similar and the red wine vinegar didn't have enough of a kick to really elevate it to anything special. It did make a nice change to a boring sandwich though !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

4 comments:

  1. I have eaten charcoal tablets in the past for upset stomach (these pills are quite common in Russia), but I haven't see this fancy salt. I'd be very interested in trying it. Will see if I can find it online. The salad looks very fresh and appetising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's called black lava salt in English

      Delete
  2. As I was reading I thought it might be a bit bland as you said at the end. I like trying new ideas though and I love watermelon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...