Thursday 8 January 2015

Madhouse Diaries : Not quite bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover !


When we were on the ferry to France, I decided to brave the biting wind (don't be fooled by the bright blue sky, it was freezing !) and head to the outside deck to take a few photos of Dover as we sailed away.


The iconic white cliffs are striking, especially on a day like this when the sky and sea were deep blue to contrast with the whiteness of the chalk.


Although, when you look closely, they're not actually as white as they appear from a distance.



I'm not sure I'd like to live in one of the houses this close to a cliff edge, especially as recent rock falls are visible in a few places along the cliffs.



I zoomed in on the white building to see if it was a church or a lighthouse ...


... and something made me jump by whizzing past the viewfinder ! (Actually modern digital cameras don't have viewfinders any more - I'm showing my age !)



They weren't bluebirds, they were seagulls, but it still seemed to fit in nicely with the song.


There'll be bluebirds over
The white cliffs of Dover
Tomorrow
Just you wait and see

There'll be love and laughter
And peace ever after
Tomorrow
When the world is free

I came across these photos yesterday, in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo bloodbath in Paris where twelve people lost their life. Just as I was finishing off the blogpost this morning, another unrelated shooting incident left two more people dead in Paris. Time to get the bluebirds back because love, laughter and peace ever after still seems like a distant dream at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...