Tuesday 27 January 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Jerk Chicken with Mango Salsa (Jamaica)


This month's Kitchen Trotter is whizzing our tastebuds off to the sunny climes of Jamaica so it was no surprise to see Jamaican Jerk Chicken popping up in the recipes. 


I needed two ingredients from the box - a bottle of Encona Jerk BBQ Sauce and a pot of Kingston Curry Powder, which smells gorgeous and isn't very hot.


First, cover the chicken thighs in jerk sauce and lemon juice and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours. (I decided to add a bit more sauce after I took the photo.)


During this time, you can make the mango salsa which required three shades of red (rather than fifty shades of grey !).


Finely chop half a red pepper, 1/4 red onion and 1 mango and put them in a bowl with 1tbsp olive oil and a sprinkle of thyme. Mix and leave in the fridge for at least an hour for the flavours to mingle.


Cook the chicken in the oven (at 180°) for about an hour - it may look burnt but it isn't, the sauce goes beautifully gooey and caramelised on the skin. (You can put foil on top if you don't want it to get too dark.) Cook some Basmati rice as usual and add 1tbsp Kingston curry powder to the pot with the water.

The cool sweetness of the mango salsa perfectly complements the spicy kick of the chicken. I was worried the flavours wouldn't work together in the salsa but it's gorgeous - I'll definitely be making it again.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

1 comment:

  1. My husband is addicted to jerk chicken. I love your mango addition, I bet it went well with the hot spice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...