Friday 14 February 2014

Maggi Cheesy Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bake review


My food cupboard clearout is continuing ! Earlier in the week, I reached into the (seemingly) endless depths of my seasoning sachet box and came up with ... Maggi Cheesy Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bake. Now, this is one of those sachets that makes me laugh a bit. It's for a cheesy chicken and bacon pasta bake and you need to add cheese, chicken, bacon and pasta. Hmmm !


Nevertheless, this was brilliant for jazzing up my Sunday roast leftovers. I added the chopped meat from the chicken carcass plus a packet of bacon, chopped and fried. Next time, I'd add extra ingredients at this stage, such as mushrooms, onions and frozen peas.


You mix the contents of the sachet with 700ml semi-skimmed milk and bring it to the boil, whisking it until it thickens.


Mix the uncooked pasta (I used small coquillettes so that they'd cook quickly but any small pasta shapes would do) into the sauce then add to the ovenproof dish with the chicken and bacon.


Mix and sprinkle with grated cheese. I also added some goats cheese.


Put in the oven for 35 minutes until the pasta is cooked and the cheese has gone golden.


Despite my reservations about the seasoning sachet not really adding much to the dish, the Madhouse Mini-testers went into raptures over this one and polished off double helpings, which is almost unheard of for Juliette and Pierre who both have the appetites of sparrows ! It is a shortcut, if you don't want to faff about making a cheese sauce or fine-tuning seasoning so for a quick midweek meal, I would probably buy it again.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : 85p


Other reviews you may be interested in :

What's Cooking at The Madhouse? menu plan 14/2/2014

Recipe : Turkey and Italian Herb Burger with Lemon Mayo and McCain French Fries


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...