Saturday 22 September 2012

Thanks Warner Brothers for my Vampire Diaries initiation !


Somehow, the whole vampires thing has passed me by. I read Justin Cronin's The Passage but never got into the TV series like Twilight or The Vampire Diaries. As a child of the seventies, vampires just evoked too many bad B-movies and the media hype surrounding Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson from Twilight just put me off because it seemed to be more about the teen heart-throbs than the stories themselves. Buffy The Vampire Slayer was the final nail in the coffin (or should that be stake through the heart ?!) because it seemed that vampires were reserved for anyone under the age of 20.

But then all my similar-aged friends started saying how they'd really got into the books and/or TV shows and I had the feeling I'd maybe missed something good. Therefore, when Warner Brothers recently sent me through the DVD boxset of the complete first season of The Vampire Diaries, I grabbed a bowl of popcorn and the remote control and settled in for a catch-up !


The Vampire Diaires, based on the series of books of the same name, focuses on troubled teen Elena, heading back to Mystic Falls High School after the tragic death of her parents. She meets new kid Stefan and feels a real connection with him, not knowing that he is in fact a vampire, constantly resisting the urge to sink his teeth into her. Add Stefan's nasty brother Damon into the mix and you get an explosive love-triangle, with both brothers desperate to claim Elena as their own because she resembles their past love.


It's a fast-paced, well-structured story that had me hooked and that is definitely too good to reserve for teens ! The boxset contains 22 episodes on 5 discs so I've still got a lot to watch. Now that the evenings are drawing in, that suits me just fine !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £8.49 on amazon



Disclosure : I received a Season 1 boxset in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


DVD review : Dallas Series 1 & 2 Boxset

Kids' DVD review : Harry & His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs - School's Out




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...