Sunday 17 June 2012

DVD review : The Blind Side



As always happens at this time of year, I'm a football widow at the moment. That quite suits me actually because, while Madhouse Daddy Mike shouts at the TV downstairs, I take the laptop up to bed and blog to my heart's content while I watch whatever I fancy with total control of the remote control ! Woohoo ! Well, the lovely people at Warner Brothers have sent through some fabulous DVDs recently that I've been watching in place of the footie. Last night I watched The Blind Side, which was a film I knew absolutely nothing about.

I was immediately attracted to the fact that it stars Sandra Bullock, but I was also immediately struck by the fact that she is in a role that seems totally out of character compared to her usual roles so it made a pleasant change. Here she camps up diminutive Southern Belle Leigh-Anne Tuohy who likes high heels, short pink skirts and shopping but who also has her heart in the right place. Sandra Bullock actually won an Oscar for her role in this film.

Leigh-Anne, her husband and two children live a luxurious life in a well-to-do neighbourhood. Their lifestyle is diametrically opposed to that of Michael Oher, a homeless teen with a druggie mum, poor performance levels at school and a childhood in the rundown Memphis housing projects where gangs and drugs are the lifestyle options of choice. When their paths cross, Leigh-Anne doesn't hesitate to invite him into their home, and soon also their hearts and family, depsite their initial doubts and the prejudices of many of their peers.

As often happens in Hollywood movies, the boy comes good and ends up as an American football superstar but, going beyond the schmaltzy American dream/underdog makes it big story, the film also looks beyond the rose-tinted spectacles to see if the Tuohys' motives are really as Christian and altruistic as they seem.

It's a heart-warming tale with a great life-lesson for us all. The Tuohys of the world can see that their actions, however small, can make a huge difference to people's lives and the Michael Ohers of the world can see that they should never give up because everyone can make it, whatever their background and however much the odds seem stacked up against them.

What makes it even more inspirational and touching is the fact that it is based on a real story and the final credits are accompanied by numerous photos of the real-life Michael and Leigh-Anne.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : no idea but it's only £5 on amazon with free delivery !

run time : 123 minutes

DVD Release Date: 9 Aug 2010


Disclosure : We received a review copy of the DVD in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

8 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect for a Sunday afternoon to let the emotions run riot before Monday looms! I'll definitely book a Sunday afternoon on the sofa for this, not that I need an excuse x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to watch this, sounds good! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds good, like true stories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this film. A well deserved Oscar winner for the lovely Sandra Bullock. I do like her films. One of my favourites is 'While you were sleeping' which is a typical rom-com - but I absolutely love it and we watch it every Christmas (because that's when it's set)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have been meaning to watch this for ages. She is a fine actress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds a great film, like you I'd never heard of it. What a lovely story, all the better that it's based on fact.
    @mumoffunkids

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...