Saturday 18 June 2011

Zap-It Mosquito Bite Relief review



While I love the warm summer days that we can spend in the park, I do have a long list of reasons why I shouldn't like the summer - hayfever, often sunburn (even with factor 50 !) and the dreaded mosquito bites. They always seem to search me out and, as I'm allergic to the bites, I always end up with really hot, itchy, red blobs all over my arms, legs and - on really bad days - face ! Grrrrr !

I've often seen people mentioning Zap-It in the press or on their blogs but I've always been too much of a wuss to go out and buy one because I was convinced it would hurt ! When the opportunity came up to review one though, I jumped at the chance.

Since then, I've been waiting to get bitten. Well, the other day, I excitedly squealed "Oooh a mosquito just buzzed in my ear" and - sad but true ! - eagerly waited to get bitten ! Next morning, sure enough, I had an itchy red lump on my arm, just above the wrist.

I nervously used the Zap-It on my arm and was relieved to see it really doesn't hurt. If you imagine a very slight twang as if you've pinged your skin with an elastic band, that gives you an idea. I even asked 9-year-old Sophie to have a go and she agreed that it really doesn't hurt - you can feel the "ping" but that's all, it doesn't hurt.

So, I "zapped" my mossie bite then sat back in anticipation. Hmmm it was still as itchy as before. I read the blurb on the back of the pack and realised once isn't enough. It says you should press the button "five times or more" and that when you've used it for a while, you'll get to know how many is the right number for you. I zapped it four times and sure enough, the itching stopped. Magic !

An hour or so later, it did start itching again so I grabbed the Zap-It for a top up, did a few more clicks and the itching eased again. Next day, the red lump was there as usual but, strangely, there was none of the usual itching.

I was intrigued to learn how this works so I scoured the label. It explains : " Zap-It works to stop the itch from mosquito bites, relieves the urge to scratch and reduces the swelling. It operates by creating a harmless static charge, which inhibits histamine release."

The label does give a few warnings :  This product will only reduce the itch and not remove the toxins or infections associated with the bites. Not suitable for those fitted with a pacemaker, with epilepsy or children under 4. Avoid sensitive areas around the eyes, lips or pulse points. Zap-It can ignite flammable materials. Do not use directly after applying insect repellent. I was tempted to put on a polyester nightie and cover myself in insect repellent before using the Zap-It to see if I'd spontaneously combust, but I decided this was taking my reviewing too seriously ! Plus I don't own a polyester nightie !

I went looking for some more information about the science behind this impressive little gadget. "Scratching a mosquito bite may bring short-lived relief but it also floods the bitten area with histamine causing swelling, incessant urges to scratch and a risk of damaging the skin’s surface, and therefore infection. A safe, clinically tested way to deal with pesky mozzie and other insect bites is to use Zap-It! – a small but effective piezo (meaning to squeeze or press) device that generates a harmless and mild (no stronger than a gentle pinch) low electrical impulse created by crystals (this same technology is commonly used in clocks, lighters and guitar pickups) to deliver harmless little ‘zaps’ which stops the itching and urge to scratch in minutes. Recent results of a clinical study carried out at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine confirms the therapeutic benefits of Zap-It! on mosquito bites by reducing histamine flow, and therefore the itch, whilst stimulating the capillaries into flushing out the toxins."

I'll be keeping this in my handbag or strapped to the pushchair (it comes with a handy lanyard) to try out over the summer, because it works not just on mosquito bites but also horseflies, fleas and other biting insects, as well as jellyfish stings and stinging nettles. Each ‘zapper’ provides over 10,000 clicks which the manufacturers say is a lifetime of bites!

star rating : 4.5/5

 RRP : £4.99

 For more information, visit http://www.zapit.eu/

Zap-It! is available from ASDA, Superdrug, Aldi, independent pharmacies, health stores, and mail order from http://www.ecobrands.com/ 

Other reviews you may be interested in :

1 comment:

  1. I've been using the boots version of this for over 10 yrars it's all I take on holiday and it's worked every time I've been bitten and never scratched a bure yet amazing priduct

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...