Thursday 5 May 2011

Lotus Olbas Vapour Release Tissues review


Hands up who remembers Stu Francis on the kids' programme Crackerjack in the eighties with his silly catchphrases like "Oooh I could crush a grape" or "Oooh I could rip a tissue" ? Well, he'd be in his element with these new Lotus Olbas tissues because the box actually tells you to crush the tissues to release the vapours !

As a hayfever sufferer, I was delighted when I was asked to try out these new tissues. I permanently have a toilet roll sitting on top of the printer beside me in the summer months so this looked a bit more upmarket ! They do also exist in smaller pocket packs that are great for your handbag but this box is perfect for use at home.

The tissues combine two well-known brands so you know you'll be getting a top quality product. Lotus make lovely soft tissues that don't irritate your nose and Olbas are well known for a variety of products, including Olbas Oil, a special mixture of pure plant oils with ingredients including clove oil, eucalyptus, juniper berry and cajuput, whose soothing vapours help clear a stuffy nose.

I was intrigued to read the sciencey bit on the press release actually. The manufacturers explain : "When you are congested, areas of your nose become swollen, making breathing more difficult. Perhaps surprisingly, congestion causes more problems in summer than winter. This isbecause when we draw cooler air into our noses, it helps to reduce nasal swelling, whereas dry, warm summer air actually makes stuffiness worse. Essential oils like eucalyptus oil, juniper berry oil and cajuput have pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which help to mimic the effect of cool air. Inhaling them gives the impression of a soothing sensation and increased air flow."

Aah interesting stuff, I never did know why menthol and eucalyptus vapours are so soothing when you have a blocked nose. These tissues aren't eye-wateringly strong but the vapours do feel lovely and cooling and soothing when you breathe them in.

As an added bonus, I've found that the kids love the smell so they are much more willing for me to blow their noses or to have a go themselves, whereas usually they put up a fight. Why do toddlers always protest when you want to blow their nose on a lovely soft tissue but are quite happy to rub a rough jumper sleeve across their nose ?! Well, Olbas does make it all a bit easier with Pierre because he likes the smell !

Just one word of warning - if you're a hayfever sufferer and you use tissues to dab your streaming eyes as well as your nose, don't forget that you'll be releasing the oil in the tiny capsules embedded in the tissue into your eyes which may not be quite so soothing ! For noses, they're great though.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £2.29 for 80 tissues

Other reviews you may be interested in :

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm surprised I did not think of it first! Tissues and my fave decongestant all in one handy place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I hear about this product. A must have I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahs love the commetn about rubbing your eyes, it stings believe me!!!

    ive found in the past tissues to not smell that strong, but these sound fab

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find they make my nose hurt. Too strong for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. where can I buy these tissues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lotus stopped making them but Boots did a cheaper version, and there may be others.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...