Sunday 9 January 2011

Jakemans Soothing Menthol Sweets


As they proudly proclaim on their lovely olde-worlde packaging, Jakeman's Soothing Menthol Sweets have been around since 1907 - so why haven't I ever heard of them before ?! I've been seriously missing out all these years ! 



A couple of months ago, I blogged (here) about a "trip down memory lane" pop-up shop that they were opening in London for three days to step back in time to the beginnings of the Jakemans business and give away lots of lovely sweeties. Then the lovely PR person sent me some bags of Jakemans sweets to try out for myself.


The original (and famous, as they say on the pack !) product is the Throat & Chest sweet containing soothing menthol. They describe it as "tasty hard boiled confectionery which not only soothes the throat but also provides stimulating vapours to help keep the nose clear". In this wintry weather where everyone seems to be coming down with colds, coughs and the flu, they're just what the doctor ordered. I instinctively guessed from the colour of the packaging that these sweets would taste of aniseed or licorice - both flavours that I don't like at all. I checked and they are indeed aniseed and eucalyptus, so I passed the bag over to Mike the Madhouse Daddy who said they were nice and proceeded to suck away for the rest of the journey !




But there are so many other flavours available that you are bound to find a variety to suit your tastes. You can take your pick from Menthol & Eucalyptus, Cherry Menthol, Honey & Lemon and Blueberry Menthol, all of which got the thumbs up from me. They remind me a bit of Tunes and really do help to soothe your throat so they are brilliant for keeping in the drawer of my desk at school for when I get a frog in my throat from all the talking (and shouting) !

I love the old-fashioned packaging and the individual wrappers keep them lovely and fresh and fluff-free, if you keep a few in your coat pocket or the bottom of your handbag. Jakemans promise to use only the finest ingredients and add no artificial colours or flavours.

I'll definitely be keeping a stock over the winter months to help soothe my throat and clear my nose - and also just because they taste so nice !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : 61p for 100g


Other reviews you may be interested in :





2 comments:

  1. Love good old fashioned sweets so I know I will like Jakemans

    where I from they sell Uncle Joe's Mint balls and I absolutely love them

    used to also like Parma Violets,liquorice sticks and Black Jacks and Sherbert lemons kalie and Bazooka Gum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Menthol acts on the reproductive system of human as it helps reduce menstrual cramps or dysmenorrhea among women and a libido enhancer for male sexual dysfunction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...