Thursday 26 August 2010

Heinz Salad Cream Lemon and Black Pepper




I'd never really thought about it before starting this review but Heinz salad cream, along with tomato ketchup and tomato relish, is an absolute store cupboard essential in our house. There's always a bottle in the fridge or an unopened one in the cupboard and I often use a quick squirt in cooking or sandwich making. For packed lunches, I love mixing grated cheese, a squirt of salad cream and a few chopped cherry tomatoes and using the mixture to stuff pitta pockets. I also prefer tuna and salad cream to the classic tuna and mayonnaise combo because it always seems a lighter option. Having checked the label, a 15g serving of the new salad cream contains 45 calories and 3.5g of fat, and Heinz say on their website that the original salad cream has 66% less fat than the standard mayonnaise market leader.


When Heinz contacted me to see if I'd like to review their new limited edition Lemon and Black Pepper Salad Cream, I was therefore really keen to try it out. According to the label, it's great with tuna and chicken but Heinz have also come up with a range of innovative recipes that incorporate it. I love the sound of Tuna Fishcakes with Heinz Salad Cream Lemon and Black Pepper and Gammon Steaks with Winter Coleslaw so I'll definitely be trying those out.


I decided to taste it on its own to begin with, to appreciate its true flavour. Firstly, it does still taste recognisably of salad cream - you get the tangy vinegary taste you would expect from a normal bottle. Then almost instantaneously you get a strong but naturally-tasting burst of zesty lemonness, followed by a lasting sensation of slight warmth and pepperiness on your tongue as the black pepper taste comes through. It's a lovely, fresh flavour that enhances other ingredients without completely overpowering them. I tried it in a tuna sandwich and with a salad and it goes really well with both.


I was amazed to see that despite their salad cream exisiting for 96 years, this is the first time that Heinz has launched a new flavour variant. I think it really works so I hope they'll continue bringing out new flavours to tickle our tastebuds and add some extra oomph to sandwiches.

The new salad cream has been available in Asda since July but is being launched in all the other major supermarkets next week so you should be able to get your mitts on a bottle quite easily.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £1.15 for 295g

Other reviews you might be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...